I love zucchini and my husband does not. Now that’s a problem! He grew up eating veggies that were boiled to death and tasteless. I understand…I’d hate zucchini too and any veggie that was made that way. How could I get him to branch out and try zucchini? Of course! Put it in a fritter. I think any veggie in a fritter can work. I was up for the challenge.
All you need is a medium zucchini or two small ones. I grate my zucchini in my food processor for convenience, but you can hand grate it just as well. Mix in some parmesan, flour, garlic, and spices and you’re all set. The parmesan really adds a lot of flavor.
Mix the ingredients thoroughly. I add the batter to my pan by 1/4 cup full. Anything larger is a little hard to handle. Trust me! I used 1/3 at first and it was a mess.
Zucchini Fritter Recipe (adapted from riseandyum.com)
- 1 medium-large sized zucchini (or 2 small)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tsp minced garlic (or more, I love garlic!)
- Wash zucchini and grate in a food processor or by hand.
- Pat zucchini dry and set aside in bowl
- In another bowl, mix salt, pepper, flour, egg, parmesan and garlic
- Add grated zucchini into same bowl and mix thoroughly (pancake mix consistency)
- In a non-stick skillet, add 2 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat
- Scoop out mix (about 1/4 cup for each fritter) and place into skillet
- Create a pancake-like shape and cook each side until crispy, golden brown
- Each side takes about 4 minutes
- Remove from skillet and enjoy!
And there you have it. It’s that simple. These fritters are so versatile. You can use them as a side dish for dinner or for a brunch. Just add a sunny side egg on top. Yum!
Give this recipe a try. You will convert those zucchini haters I just know it. Happy cooking.