Hi everyone! Happy New Year. I hope this post on my blog finds you all enjoying the first day of 2018. Since I indulged way too much between Thanksgiving and New Years, it’s time to get back on track. I love soup and the colder winter months always scream soup to me. I’m always looking for new healthy soup recipes to try out. This is a delicious creamy soup that is vegan and gluten free. I added chicken to make it a little more hardy for my tastes. I wish I could take full credit for this delicious creation, but alas I can not. I did tweak it a bit to make it more to my liking.
CHICKPEA, SWEET POTATO, LIME & COCONUT SOUP
• 1 tablespoon coconut oil
• 1/2 cup red onion, chopped (about 1/2 of an onion)
• 2 teaspoons crushed garlic (about 2 medium cloves)
• 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
• 2 red bell peppers, deseeded & chopped
• 1-2 tablespoons red chili paste (depends how spicy you like it)
• 1 teaspoon ground turmeric (good spice for inflammation)
• 1 can | 14 oz coconut milk
• 4 cups vegetable broth
• 1 can | 15 oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 2 cups baby kale
• 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 1-2 teaspoons sea salt or to taste
• chopped cilantro, optional
Note: I added cooked boneless chicken to my soup. About 3 breasts cubed.
1 Heat the coconut oil in a large, heavy bottom pot over medium heat. When the oil is hot add the onion, garlic, sweet potato, and bell peppers. Stir and cook until fragrant, constantly stirring to avoid burning the garlic, about 5 minutes.
2 Add the red chili paste and turmeric to the pot & stir.
3 Add the entire can of coconut milk and the vegetable stock. Stir the pot, place a lid on top, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat on the stove to a simmer and remove the lid. Cook until the potatoes are just-tender, about 15 minutes.
4 Add the chickpeas and kale.
5 Stir in the lime juice. Taste and season with salt as needed and add cilantro.
6 Serve over rice and enjoy!
If you try this recipe, let me know how you liked it, or what you did to make it different for you.