Why did I start this journey? For over a year now my husband has been having lower abdominal pain. Without getting into the gory details, he has had every possible test (including a full body scan) and all came back negative. His GI doctor basically threw up his hands unable to recommend other options except to eat yogurt every day and to stay away from alcohol and red meat. WHAT? Well… we eat yogurt everyday and we don’t drink alcohol or eat red meat. Not once did he delve into the foods my husband eats on a regular basis. Hmmmm.
It was time to take matters into our own hands. Diet change – go organic and food elimination. My husband has done a lot of research on the “gut”. He recently purchased the book, No Grain-No Pain by Peter Osborne. His process is two phases. Here is what WE have given up. I capitalized ‘we’ because we are taking this journey together not to mention that my husband is my life long partner. Okay, so what does the two phase food elimination entail?
- Food Elimination List
- All dairy including yogurt
- All grains /gluten
- All soy products
- Most oils – (olive oil organic, cold pressed and coconut oil is ok)
- All processed and GMO (genetically modified) foods
- Nightshade vegetables – white potato (sweet potato is ok), tomatoes, sweet bell peppers, chili peppers, eggplant, goji berries. These have a tendancy to irriate the intestines.
- All legumes including peanuts
- Some nuts and seeds
- Coffee and black tea (herbal and green tea is ok)
- Refined sugar and artificial sweeteners
- Poultry and Fish
- Poultry must be organically fed and free-range. Same with eggs
- Fish must be wild-caught not farm raised.
I know what you must be thinking. OMG! What is there left to eat? Believe me there is plenty. Everything I cook is fresh poultry or fish and vegetables. Breakfast includes eggs and fruit.
So far things have improved, but we are still have a lot of questions which is the whole purpose in creating this blog. We’ve learned a lot through this journey so far and I’d like to share our journey with you.